Sunday, November 05, 2006

Even more adventures with a Rover 114

I had to go to an AutCAD training course a couple of weeks ago.

That was a 45 mle round trip and on the Thursday I got flagged down and told my brake lights were not working.
I ran around three garages to find some stop and tail bulbs, put one in and still no brake lights so I knew the brake light switch had gone.

The brake light switch on this car is a spring actuated by pressing the brake pedal. This is my third Metro and they have all broken that spring. It's at the top of the pedal in the bulkhead between the engine compartment and the drivers bay and the manual says first remove your steering column. I searched for a replacement part and got responses by the Friday but they wanted £23 for delivery and it was a used item so no idea of the life span.

I rang Kwik Fit who suggested an auto-electrician for the job so I rang the auto electrician who'd replaced my alternator and battery last month and asked if they could do the job. Got the car down to them Saturday morning bright and early and left it with them. By 10:30am they had concurred with my diagnosis and had a new part on the way. I went to town, got the bus out to them and paid just over £35 for the full repair.

It's really funny how much space you get behind you when you start using hand signals to indicate braking and I am happy the car is fixed.

No comments: