Sunday, September 10, 2006

Screaming into the empty bowels of subsistence

It's just gone 7 am on a mild September Sunday morning.

Since I last posted I have spent about £320 on vet bills for the cat.

She started scratching herself bald in three specific areas in May this year and I initially thought it was because she was an indoor cat so started trimming her claws and washing the lacerations with salt water - one thumbnail of salt to a pint of water in case you need to know.

The home based treatment continued for a while until she was simply left with crusty legions on one bit that wouldn't heal and wouldn't regrow fur.

I took her to the vet and he prescribed skin biopsies and scrapes. I had her tested for FiV/FelV at the same time. The results showed an increase in normal skin bacteria and no mites or other nasties.

So we tried Synulox and that didn't work. I paid out for Fuciderm and that seemed to work at clearing the crusty legions except that this morning she proudly scratched bald another spot on her cheek. I've fucidermed it to avoid bacteria etc and she is back on boiled chicken but she'll have to have the collar back on to prevent her scratching anymore.

On top of that, due to post menopausal night sweats I haven't had a decent night's sleep in about three or four weeks and I am supposed to be going on a ride out this morning.

No comments: